The new Fallout game get’s its first trailer:
And now that you’ve watched that here’s a bullet point list of things to watch out for in New Vegas:
• There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn’t instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
• Vegas didn’t get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
• The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar’s Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
• You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one. You are a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
• There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.
• There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new machine gun that shoots grenades.
• There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS – specifically a move for a golf club called “Fore!” which seems to be a groin shot.
• The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
• There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion
• The Geckos are back.
• There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
• Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a blonde 1950s style wig and heart-shaped glasses who apparently is one of their leaders.
• Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul an NCR Ranger
• The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot
• Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels
• A character generation shot showing a “vigour machine” instead of the skill book
• NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar’s Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter. Area 51 also appears.
• NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger
• Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.
• Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
• All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there’s no punishment for failure.
• There is a Reputation system for each settlement like in Fallout 2 in adition to Karma.
• Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like “follow”, “stay” or “attack”.