Capcom have today announced that the third game in their Lost Planet franchise will be released on June 25th in North America and June 28th in Europe, because even in 2013 we appearently still can’t launch games on the same freaking day. It’ll be available on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
Lost Planet 3 introduces Jim Peyton, a Utility Rig pilot who leaves the safety of Earth to take on a dangerous yet lucrative contract obtaining samples of a natural energy source on E.D.N. III. This source of power is believed to be able to solve Earth’s problems, but in true gaming fashion it’s not long until everything starts to go wrong and those awesome Akrid begin to trash everything in sight.
Heavy emphasis is being placed on Jim’s utility rig, which is described as a, “home away from home.”
According to the press release from Capcom, here’s what to expect:
- Return to extreme conditions – Taking the series back to its roots Lost Planet 3 returns to E.D.N. III, delivering a dynamic game world that’s more dangerous than ever before
- Brave the terrifying – Play as blue collar worker Jim, risking assignments in treacherous conditions to earn his hazard pay and return home to his family
- Home away from home – Protect yourself from hostile Akrid and the unpredictable ice storms on E.D.N. III with your utility rig. Equipped with an assortment of tools, including the new winch that can grab your enemies at range and the drill that can destroy creatures of any size, players will need to learn to use the rig to their advantage in order to survive
- Gameplay Variety – Take to the extreme conditions on foot or utilize the safety of the rig for first person combat sequences
- Stormy weather – The ever changing weather system of E.D.N. III affects the way you play with conditions that create an imposing environment players will need to adapt to.
- Intense, cinematic experience –Developed with the Unreal Engine 3, Lost Planet 3 presents a visually stunning and unique terrain that impacts the gameplay
- Killer enemies – The Akrid are back, bigger and angrier. The new Carrier Akrid unleashes smaller defender organisms at its attackers. The Carrier is also able to get up and close to impale foes with its powerful front legs. Using Jim’s weapons or his Rig to uncover the core hidden beneath a hard outer shell will be the only way to take this beast down.
- Save your energy! – Harvest energy by planting thermal posts and use the supply to upgrade your weapons. The longer you leave your post in the ground the more energy you’ll source but this reward brings with it the threat of increasing Akrid reproduction, adding even more risks to the unstable environment. Will the reward be worth the risk?
- Reveal the hidden truths of E.D.N. III – The uncharted world has many secrets locked away. What is E.D.N. III hiding? All will be revealed in Lost Planet 3.
- Lonely Planet? – Lost Planet 3 will support a full set of multiplayer modes that enhance players experience of the Lost Planet world
That’s not all, though, because as you can see Capcom have also revealed a new trailer, which you’ve doubtless already watched since it was at the top of this article, as well as a load of shiny new screenshots, which you can see below.
Get your winter coats out, it’s almost time to go bug hunting.