Wolfenstein: The New Order, a reboot of the classic series which gave birth to the FPS genre, is due to launch this month, and so Bethesda have finally gotten around to announcing what sort of PC specs you’ll need to run it.
While both the ram and the graphics card aren’t very surprising given that the game is running on id Tech 5, the call for an Intel i7 or AMD equivalent certainly is. That’s a pretty big ask considering even the cheapest i7 sits at around £200 on Amazon, even for quite dedicated PC gamers. However, I am going to call bullshit on this one, and declare that you don’t need an i7 or AMD equivalent to run the game, although I could, of course, but completely wrong in that assumption.
Bethesda’s blog post doesn’t make it very clear if the following requirements are the minimum needed to run the game, or the recommended. The phrase, “Below you’ll find the system requirements necessary to run the game.” indicates that these are indeed what they’re calling the minimum recommended specifications. I’ve reached out to Bethesda for clarification on this matter.
PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
4 GB System RAM
50 GB free HDD space
GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation required
While I’m almost certain that PCs with lower specifications will be able to handle the game, I’m personally only running an AMD Phenom II 965 x4, so it looks like I might be getting this on Xbox One instead.
Furthermore Bethesda also revealed the space needed for the game on consoles, while also stating that the Xbox 360 version of the game will include a whopping four discs:
- Hard Drive Requirements: 8 GB HDD minimum and ~47 GB for total install
- Voice Commands optional
- Hard Drive requirements: 8 GB minimum and ~47 GB total install
- Kinect support for Voice Commands (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish only)
- Hard Drive requirements: 8 GB minimum
- Game includes 4 discs, including the first disc that is a mandatory installation disc.
- Hard Drive requirements for disc play: 8 GB HDD space
- Hard Drive requirements for PSN download: 17 GB HDD space